The CAA's new Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Service is now live.


You must now register, if you own and/or fly a Drone or Model Aircraft that weighs les than 250 grammes.

The requirement to complete the registration will only be for Operators flying aircraft between 250g- 20kg that are used outdoors.


There are two elements to the Registration and Education service which are:

  • For £9 (renewed annually) anyone responsible for a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg will need to register as an (SUA) operator

  • For Free anyone flying a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg will need to take and pass an online education package.

You can register via


For holders of current CAA permissions (PfCO) or exemptions for drone operations

- you're exempt the free online safety test.


There are three parts ot this process that are applicable as follows:


You must:

  • Pass an online test to get a Flyer ID (FREE - Renewed every 3 years)

    • if you want to fly ANY drone or model aircraft over 250g but less than 20kg

  • Register for an Operator ID (PAY £9 ANNUALLY)

    • if you’re responsible for a drone or model aircraft

  • Label any drones and model aircraft with your Operator ID


How do I get the FREE Remote Pilot Flyer ID ?

There is no minimum age required to register as a Remote Pilot.


Anyone who wants to fly a drone or model aircraft must pass an online theory test on flying safely and legally (Unless you hold a permission, exemption or are part of a registered association - see above).


The test has 20 multiple-choice questions and the pass mark is 16. You can take the test as many times as you need. We will supply you with details of the questions and answers if you like so contact us for more details which we will know after November 5th.


In due course you can find all of the knowledge needed to pass the test is in a new Drone and Model Aircraft Code.


When you pass the test, you’ll get a Flyer ID, which acts as your acknowledgement of competency as a remote pilot from the CAA.

How do I get my Operator ID if I own or am responsible for an aircraft?

If you own or are responsible for a drone or model aircraft, and you are 18 or over then you will need to register as an operator.


When you register, you’ll get an operator ID with your certificate of registration. You must display your operator ID on your drone(s).


You can use the same operator ID for all your drones and model aircraft.


You must be aged 18 or over to be an operator.


Terms & Conditions of the Operator Registration

Minimum age: 18
Registration period: 1 year
Fee: Currently £9 annually




If you fly any drone outdoors and it's over 250g but less than 20kg you will need to register as a remote pilot through the new registration scheme portal.


If you already hold a PfCO, Operational Authorisation, recognised Exemption or hold a certificate of competency from a recognised body such as the BMFA 'A' qualification you won't be required to take the 20 question examination to be a Remote Pilot - a formal exemption will be issued to go alongside your permissions/exemptions/certificate.


Members of ARPAS-UK, BMFA, SAA, LMA and FPV UK will not need to register as an operator with the CAA system if you are a current member of these associations.


With permission, the associations will collect the registration fee from yourself directly and supply their data to the CAA (for more information contact the respected organisation).


REMEMBER, this does not go live until 5 November 2019 and must be done via the CAA's portal here


Do not use any other website other than the CAA's official Drone Registration Portal.


We hope that's clear for you and if you'd like to know anything else please contact us on 0800 669 6400 as always, we’ll be happy to help.

© 2018 by The Drone College. Proudly created with